Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Couple of things

- I'm not sure if a lot of folks realize George Zinkhan's shooting spree was actually a tragedy for the entire Athens-Clarke County community and not just an event that focused on the University of Georgia.

- Yeah, it is kinda lousy that property taxes don't appear like they'll dip down any.

- On a personal note, let me publically voice my deep disdain for all sorts of Palm communications products. I'm on my second Treo (since the first one was replaced last year for, well, not working), and this one just doesn't do anything it's supposed to (as evidence by a conference call I missed last night). It arbitrarily selects when and if I receive phone calls. It will randomly disconnect from email and then try to reconnect over and over again, thus draining the battery down. It gets no reception anywhere. It periodically 'freezes' up without me being aware ... also draining the battery down. So I've been to Verizon twice now to complain, plead with them to let me switch to a Blackberry and they won't let me do so until October due to my contract. Now, leaving aside the fact that they've peddled me an incredibly faulty product (twice!), I'm just mystified they refuse to let me merely pay for a new phone and switch my existing service while swallowing my existing payment for the Treo.

- Two observations regarding this story. The first is that, despite my own personal disagreements with the Neo-Confederate movement as well as that whole secession thing, I think the display of the document is a good thing. It spurs academic debate and provides a spotlight on an important period of history in The South (rightly or wrongly). The second is ... why in the world is a debate between a hippie and a redneck worthy of an Associated Press story?

No comments:

Post a Comment