Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Couple of things

- Ugh. I fundamentally hate this tennis center project. It was a stupid idea that was passionately advocated for by a handful of folks, got dropped into the SPLOST list of projects and ultimately approved by the Athens-Clarke County voters because, well, no community votes down SPLOST. And while the vast majority of the funding is going to worthy projects, this pathetically ridiculous one may get stretched across two SPLOST cycles because they may have to buy land.

- OK, I've got no shame in admitting that I got roped into the premiere of Jon & Kate Plus Eight last night and, sad to say, in no large part thanks to my curiousity to hear what they'd have to say about all of the stuff reported about them. It was even more painful given my absolute disdain for celebrity gossip, but given that I have a hard time considering this family a group of 'celebrities' then I suppose I was able to internally rationalize it. I have to say, though, that if they do get divorced then what's the point of watching the show?

- Wow ... this is a mess, and what's interesting for me is to evaluate it through dueling perspectives. On one hand, this story broke back when I was working at the paper, and when it was just me and The Wife. While not even remotely justifying the taking of an innocent life, I did have my suspicions regarding the actions of Philip Cole (namely that I think he put himself in a very dangerous situation and probably didn't act as friendly as his family and friends claimed). And, given the fact that Antonio Wingfield was acquitted of all the charges, I would be tempted to say that Cole's father seek the appropriate counseling and face the reprecussions for harassing the Wingfield family. That said ... as I write now some five years later with a child of my own, I can't even begin to fathom how I would respond if she was wrongfully taken from me, but I venture to say it wouldn't be pretty.

- There's a lot of buzz surrounding this video for Karen Handel, but I don't get it since it looks rather amateurish ... and, of course, ignores Handel's penchant for voter suppression, ignoring legal opinion and trying to close down elections. If those things make for a great governor, then she's set!

- I think Sonia Sotomayor is the right pick for the U.S. Supreme Court.

- OK, yes I do have my opinions about Jon and Kate, but again, who cares? If the couple is milking a family crisis, or possibly staging one, to make money ... so? If I think Jon's getting a raw deal or Kate's just misunderstood ... what's the point? I've already got several items in my feed with various TV columnists and bloggers weighing on who they believe and don't believe, and I just don't care. The show used to be about the family, and now it's about the drama, so it's not as interesting to me.

- My problem with this isn't that state agencies and local governments employ lobbyists because, in this era of reckless spending cuts and political power grabs up in Atlanta, it's perfectly acceptable to play the game and get someone up there who can fight for you. My problem is that each lobbyist is making, on the average, more than $92,000 a year ... which is insanity for a three-month legislative session.

- I took advantage of some Memorial Day promotions to finally buy a riding lawn mower, which is being delivered at some point this morning. So, as of yesterday afternoon, I'm the proud owner of a Husqvarna ... with a 46-inch cutting deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment