Friday, May 8, 2009

From Shinholser

A comment from mayoral candidate Brandon Shinholser regarding my needling of his stated affection of Ayn Rand ...

Thank you for mentioning my candidacy on your blog, JMAC. I respect your honest opinion pertaining to the quotes listed on my inactive facebook page; however, I do want to clarify a few things. The quotes on my facebook page were selected because of their brief, intriguing content, not to indicate my own philosophical beliefs. I tend to study history without labels with hopes that I can understand how certain individuals felt during their own era. I consider myself a pragmatic progressive because I am prepared to work with people across the ideology spectrum to progress our municipality without sacrificing my principle of reason and sensibility. I understand your first impression, and that is why I took the time to write you a message. Your post also reminded me to update the page!

I do not idolize Ayn Rand, but I do find that some of her writings are inspiring in their own way. Ayn and I share philosophical differences. I find it intriguing to try to understand the points that she makes even if I do not necessarily agree with her direction.

Ronald Regan and I also share ideological differences. I appreciate Reagan’s leadership, for the most part, and service to our country. During the Reagan Administration, Americans were introduced to a new type of “optimism.” Reagan sparked a movement that initially put America on a different path, somewhat comparable to that of Jack Kennedy, and even Barack Obama. All three Presidents faced strong opposition that questioned their age, leadership, and the ability to connect with the population at large. And all three were successful.

Once again, I want to thank you for speaking your opinion. I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have for me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment