Sunday, November 15, 2009

'Wormhole of crazy'

To borrow a phrase from Grift, take a gander at the comments surrounding my column on another round of economic stimulus and follow into the 'wormhole of crazy.'

Safe to say, had I said 'tax cuts for businesses can help fuel job creation' then all the conservative detractors would have said 'that's exactly right man!' Of course, in essence, that's pretty much what I said, but because it's phrased as 'stimulus' they all freak out.

It's also fun to watch the discussion -if we can refer to it as such - morph into which political party balanced the federal budget (an interesting line of conversation, to be sure, but wholly unrelated to economic stimulus). So, rather than discuss policy proposals, folks just go back and forth with each hollering 'Bush stinks!' and 'Obama's wrong!'

As far as my weekly 'Tumbleweed' update ...

McGinty is about as informed on national financial strategy as my neighbors cat is. My neighbors cat comes over to my house everyday because I usually have a piece of bacon or something left over from breakfast and I toss it to the little fellow. The cat was not hungry or starving, my neighbor takes care of his pet, this cat simply wants more of a good thing. When folks like McGinty see more government spending as a good thing, you can bet that their livelyhood depends on government money/handouts.

For starters, cats creep me out.

Now, seeing how I own a small business, it's safe to say that I don't actually depend on 'government money/handouts' but I do always appreciate simplistic generalizations. Regardless, I'm at a loss to understand why a comprehensive package of targeted spending and tax incentives - with a portion going to the supply side and a portion going to the demand side - is a 'bad' policy proposal.

Or, that is to say, making really weird analogies to bacon and cats doesn't exactly explain your point of view on the matter.