Monday, September 21, 2009

Couple of things

- The long-awaited editorial from Rep. Paul Broun was a big letdown and, to be honest, probably shouldn't have been run at all. He didn't break any new ground in explaining his conspiracy theories and instead relied on the same old, nonsensical paranoia. For example, I'm still not sure how President Obama is going to take over the media seeing how, you know, no one is recommending we actually reimplement the 'Fairness Doctrine' and just because Broun thinks AmeriCorps is going to morph into a Marxist Gestapo doesn't make it so.

- I can kick myself for my error in my Sunday column as I labeled the 'S' in 'MACORTS' as 'system' and not 'study' ... so consider this my correction.

- Um, yeah, if you want seven-day access to the lake, then pay the property taxes that come with the lake frontage 365 days a year.

- Kudos to Oconee County Library Friends for putting on the book sale this past weekend. The Wife, The Kid and I enjoyed breakfast at The Big Easy Cafe before heading over there where I paid $11 for six or seven books (including a 1968 policy analysis of The Great Society, which excites a wonky guy like myself).

- Parts of the Oconee River are above flood stage already, and we've got five to six more inches of rain heading our way. Everyone be safe out there today.