Monday, September 21, 2009

It's lonely down here

An interesting breakdown of the most recent Daily Kos/Research 2000 poll which suggests President Obama is still really, really popular ... just not in the South. And, as a result, that's dragging down his overall approval rating, thus distorting the reporting and perception of his popularity ...

While I am not surprised that the Republican party is more popular in the South than other regions, the starkness of this distinction is beyond what I had expected. Moreover, while I would have expected the Republican party to be unpopular in the Northeast, I did not expect such similar numbers from the West and Midwest. Quite seriously, if I saw this type of regional distribution of support for a political party in a country like Slovakia, I would assume the party represented an ethnic minority. ...

Taken together, I wonder if we’ve hit the point where the mainstream media ought to be reporting support for the president, congress, political parties, etc. not in terms of the country as a whole, but rather by providing two numbers: support in the South and support in the rest of the country excluding the South?