Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Maybe Bishop Park ain't a bad idea

I must admit ... the logic employed in this editorial isn't bad at all. Bishop Park had ranked toward the bottom of the list for me, but the rationale for locating the tennis center there - location, existing facilities, economic development potential, etc. - is sound.

The Southeast Clarke Park option has really dropped off dramatically for me the more I think about, primarily due to substantial community opposition, but also because it would be in a tricky location and also because it would result in the complete revision of the master plan of that area. There was considerable effort put into compiling those plans just a few years back - as well as a considerable amount of taxpayer money - and I'm just having a difficult time endorsing either the Lexington Road or Whit Davis Road sites as viable options.

Plus, I'm just not too crazy about the potential of simply relocating any displaced facilities to another location since that, too, would result in more expenditures from Athens-Clarke County. If you're willing to spend a certain amount of revenue for relocation, then why not spend it to locate at the Athens YWCO?