Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Something should be done

Yes, please.

The proposed ordinance, which is a much-needed piece of policy for a growing county with increasing traffic, is primarily targeted toward the actions of one group. On what seems to be a daily basis, there are five to six individuals who simply congregate along Epps Bridge Road. From my observations and interactions with these folks - who, again, are the same people week in and week out - there doesn't seem to be much order to what they're doing, no real purpose to what they're fundraising for and no real concern for their safety or the safety of the drivers on the road.

One time, after two of them swarmed my car and gave me creepy grins, I finally rolled down the window to offer them a handful of change. I asked them 'who are you with' and they responded, and I quote, 'this is for our church to help out the kids.' Now who 'the kids' are or what their church does is something that wasn't made clear to me, and it's safe to say that I just stubbornly leave my windows up when they come by.

Still, more than that, this group is a clear safety hazard. They're taking reckless actions by darting in and out of traffic in one of the busiest thoroughfares in the area, and I've seen more than one car have to swerve or slam on the brakes to avoid them.

Perhaps an outright ban is too harsh, but the actions if this particular group have so hindered traffic in that area that some measure is desperately needed.