Tuesday, September 1, 2009

On Ed

Very sad news regarding Ed Hoard, who passed away last night.

During my time at the Athens Banner-Herald, I worked as a reporter in sports for a few years. My love of golf understandably pulled me toward filling the void in local coverage during my tenure there, and it was through those professional connections that I first met Ed.

For a kid who, at the time, was still in school and trying to get into sports journalism, Hoard was as gracious, kind and considerate as anyone I ever encountered. He always had time - and patience - for a fledgling reporter who peppered with him questions about the local golf scene.

He worked with me on a panel I assembled back in 2000 to rank the best 18 holes in the area, and his role in the 1999 Ryder Cup resulted in an article that garnered me my first-ever writing award.

As the years passed, and I moved away from full-time sports journalism, I began placing phone calls and emails to another member of his family in his wife, and current Athens-Clarke County Commissioner, Kathy Hoard. And, just like her husband, she has proven to be just as gracious, charming and patient with a non-compensated blogger who peppers her with questions on zoning policy, historic preservation and other now seemingly mundane issues.

Today, my heart breaks for her, and my prayers go out to her.