Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Couple of things

- It's late today as meetings have dominated my morning.

- Well this is interesting. Arguably, it will wipe out existing local ordinances which restrict employment, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with Bill Berryman's assessment that it opens up bars to folks 18 to 21. It seems the intent of the ruling was to address the right-to-work issues and not necessarily the access issues, though I do agree there is some obvious grey area there.

- Got to say ... John Huie makes a great point regarding financing the jail entirely through SPLOST, and I'm with Hillary on this. Why would you voluntarily take on $46 million in additional debt solely as a way to punish 'future' taxpayers? It's borderline absurd in the grand scheme of things.

- Of course, $80 million for a new jail is nuts too, particularly when Hall County just built a 1,061-bed facility for $30 million less. Can someone tell me how the proposed jail, with approximately 300 less beds, costs that much more than the Hall County one?