Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Couple of things

- Drew Page has had a long, fulfilling career, and he's well-deserved the opportunity to hang up his hat and spend time with his loved ones. That said, with all due respect, I can't say that I'm terribly disappointed by his retirement. My personal respect for him aside, I think his tenure at Athens-Clarke County's Economic Development Foundation has been somewhat marred by an inconsistent approach to recruiting businesses to the area.

- Very cool.

- A damp winter will be very nice, particularly after the previous ones that lacked the necessary rainfall to keep us out of the drought. It doesn't stop the usual yokels from confusing singular weather patterns from a profound planet-wide altering of our climate, but that ain't surprising.

- Democrats out my way have a knack for putting together some really cool ideas, and this is no exception. Not only is it a really interesting idea that I figure to take part in, but my hat is off to the Republican officials who signed up to contribute. See, bipartisanship still exists now and then!

- Everyone pass on congratulations to a pair of my buddies. Brian Brodrick and his wife just welcomed their third child, and second daughter, to their ever-growing family yesterday evening. Rebecca Wells Brodrick was born at 6:21 p.m. and is a happy and healthy baby girl. And Matt and his wife just learned they'll be having a girl, their first child, in December. In honor of both additions, a song that leaves me in tears whenever I hear it.