Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Profit vs. necessity

This raises some interesting questions that are unrelated to Andy Herod's explanation of the local budgeting process - though that, in and of itself, is something everyone ought to read - and I hope to be able to follow through with some of them in a way that is constructive and not critical (since the latter is not my intention at all) ...

Athens-Clarke Commissioner Andy Herod asked me a while back if I would write an article about the budget process and how local government works.

While I’m sure that story would have papers just flying off the shelves, somehow I never got around to doing it. I guess Herod did it for me.


Having worked as a reporter and editor, Blake's filter operates roughly the same way that mine would have if I had been presented with the same request. And, true enough, I have a variety of folks who ask for me to 'look into' something, but it just rarely meets something that either suits my interest or fits into the type of commentary I provide.

But, that said, is that appropriate to do?

That is ... if profit is driving the dissemination of information, then is that truly a healthy thing for a society? Not that I'm angling to make an argument for a socialized press, but rather that it's hard to argue that Herod's explanation of how the budget process works isn't of public value.

Lots of folks either confuse or completely misunderstand how this process works or where portions of collected revenue go. So, an increase in water rates frustrates folks when it's coupled with discussions over raising the millage rate. Of course, those two revenue streams go to different 'pots' of money. Likewise, the actions of Atlanta dramatically impact the fiscal well-being of local communities, as Herod points out.

Again, this is important information that everyone should know ... but, because it's dry, wonky and lacks the pizzaz of, say, a robbery or embezzlement, it's passed over time and time again in pursuit of better profits.

And it's hard to argue with the for-profit media pursuing such a course of action, particularly given the hard times the industry has fallen on. You want folks to read your product and, again, robbery beats wonkery time and time again.

That doesn't make the publication of such materials, however, without merit - and, to be clear, Blake deserves much kudos for posting Herod's explanation at his blog - which further complicates the picture.