Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Couple of things

- Mother of Mary ... this is absurd. Listen, I still have no particular opinion on whether or not 'raw' milk ought to be banned - and if local advocates wish to change the law, then more power to them - but this thing is like a Monty Python skit. 'Jesus was a raw milk drinker'? Really? That's the route we're going?

- I concur, and the first town hall format is set for tonight at 7 p.m. at the Oconee Civic Center. I'm hoping to be able to attend, but I've got another more pressing date as I'll take The Kid to pick out a pumpkin.

- Hillary had questions about the small allocations of money given out by Athens Area Community Foundation, and it isn't that I disagree with her in theory. The difference, however, is that AACF is a community organization who is charged with allocating mini-grants to various organizations and it doesn't give money solely based on anti-poverty measures. I had disagreements similar to her line of thought last time around, but a discussion with Delene Porter helped me get a better sense of clarity on how this process works. All of that said, I still agree with Hillary in that I'd rather see a funding mechanism allocated for child care or housing subsidies.

- I have a friend who, for a brief period of time, served as the mayor of Bogart. It was a part-time position that paid little, but came with all the various responsibilities associated with being a small town mayor. It was, to put it mildly, a very tiring and, at times, frustrating position for him. I say that to preface this post by North High Shoals City Councilman Steve Holzman.

- I appreciate Dan clarifying this. He had orginally thought I was accusing him of being 'disingenuous' which wasn't the case at all. I merely thought he and I had a difference of opinion regarding the root of the proposed bike ban, and I appreciate him accepting my clarification.