Saturday, October 10, 2009

'Reinventing the wheel'

An interesting post on whether or not you ought to start a non-profit organization from Social Citizens ...

I went to a small fundraiser this year where a group of Millennials was raising money for a new nonprofit they were starting to help former child soldiers. They were in the early stages of making a documentary about child soldiers, intended to raise awareness and funds to help the children with education and rehabilitation. The thing is, I've already seen this documentary. It's called Invisible Children. I left the fundraiser without giving any money because even though it felt awkward and I am touched by the issue, I could not justify funding a movie just so they could say they've made a documentary. I’m not trying to be Ebenezer Scrooge here, and I love seeing my peers passionate about a cause, but it seems their time and energy could be better spent if they held a fundraiser for Invisible Children or tried to work with UNICEF or another existing organization that addresses the reintroduction of child soldiers and refugees. Reinventing the wheel in this case doesn’t seem to be the best or quickest way to get support for those that really need it.