Thursday, October 1, 2009

Couple of things

- Apparently as part of a Cox Radio-mandated format change, 100.1-FM is broadcasting as 'Obama Government Controlled Radio'. Some folks are suggesting it's a clever marketing ploy, but I just don't really see it. Not that folks can't - or shouldn't - poke fun at the president, but I think deliberately playing into the irrational and misguided fears of a vocal minority is a bad idea.

- The headline for this story ought to be a statement, not a question. It's going to be difficult to separate the similarities between the Athens-Clarke County ordinance and the Atlanta one that was just tossed out. Arguably, a massive headache is heading the community's way, but it's coming.

- Here's my thing ... let's not get soft on this. Again, seeing how I drive through the Epps Bridge Corridor at least four times a day, this has emerged as a persistent and troubling problem. I've got no problem with any organization working to raise funds, but the mysterious church group which has caused this controversy is acting in reckless and irresponsible way. I've been flanked by two folks with donation buckets as they knocked on my windows. I've had a friend who has an office down the road from Butler's Crossing who had someone jump out in front of her car. I've seen folks sit down in turn lanes. Adding a permit process won't remedy this problem, but rather add a layer of bureaucracy to the matter. Solicitation in the highway should be banned for safety reasons, and non-profits ought to identify other ways to raise funds.

- Mary's good people, and she was always most helpful to me when I would volunteer at Our Daily Bread. She'll be missed, but let's wish her a happy retirement.