Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Couple of things

- This appears to be a suitable compromise, particularly given the concern - a legitimate one, no doubt - about setting a precedent that could be abused in later cases. Granted, I think there are some weird quirks to this particular arrangement (i.e. namely why not just go ahead and grant a temporary permit to make the process legitimate as now it seems you're just looking the other way to something that is defined as non-compliant), but it keeps Jittery Joe's open and satisfies the concerns of staff. Not a bad deal in the end.

- I will offer a slight disagreement with Pete, however. I think his position is valid, and far be it from me to suggest the community deviate from its long-range, land use plan, but ... I have struggled throughout this to recognize how this is a significant deviation or how the granting of a temporary permit would set a dangerous precedent. Again, not that I think such concerns are without merit, but I also think that, as an elected body, the commission has a responsibility and obligation to act on behalf of the community. Likewise, I think the commission is well within its bounds to use its own judgement and discretion in determining judgements like this, and that discretion doesn't necessarily equate the establishment of precedent.

- I'm going to go on a limb and say nothing will ever make Damon Krebs happy.

- I've got some additional thoughts about the tennis center situation, but I'm still favoring the Bishop Park option after reviewing the options. The Satterfield Park alternative is not a bad one by any means, but, based on recent conversations, it's become apparent in the past two or three days that no one is terribly excited about that proposal.

- I like the concept of turning empty big box stores into usable space for artists, but I also doubt its ability to be a big picture solution to the problem of those underutilized spaces. If you run out Atlanta Highway, for instance, the answer lies in infrastructure upgrades and a comprehensive renewal project. Turning some of those spaces into studios for artists ought to be a component of reform, but only one component.