Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A final word

Judging by the five emails I've received from him in the past 24 hours, I'm obviously not on Lee Becker's good side regarding my views on Oconee County's proposed governmental restructuring.

Despite all of the criticism - most of it overwhelmingly constructive - my central argument, however, remains. The primary argument advanced by proponents of the reforms has been couched under the terms of communication problems when, all along, the legitimate concerns that could justify such an overhaul have not been advanced in the public.

I would suggest that most folks are getting upset and guising it under this odd notion that I'm 'uninformed' because I didn't adopt the supposed 'real' reason this push is being undertaken. If it's the 'real' reason, then I stand by my assertion that it should have been advanced, in the public, all along. I don't have time, and the community shouldn't have time, for tired whisper campaigns or code words inserted throughout the dialogue, forcing all of us to read between the tea leaves for what the 'real' meaning in all of this is.

Where I'm from, grown-ups say 'my problem is X' not 'my problem is Y, which, if you watch my eye movement when I say it and then talk to Mary Louise down the street, actually means X.'