Tuesday, August 4, 2009

OK, really, one final word

Alright, I lied.

Dan accuses me of being a part of a Melvin Davis-led public relations push to thwart the restructuring of the Oconee County government, which is entertaining in its own right, but also woefully flawed in its assumptions.

For starters, I've met Davis once. Given that I've been critical, publically, of Davis's communication skills as well as his opposition to the regional economic partnership with Athens-Clarke County, it's pretty implausible to suggest I'm part of some nefarious scheme aimed to dupe the public into preserving the status quo for the chairman's personal benefit.

With all due respect to Davis, I'm rather indifferent to his arguments for or against the change. Personally, I have a philosophical lean toward a strong mayor/chairman form of government and - as I have repeatedly stated - if the argument for the change is primarily built around the need for better communication, then I find that a weak justification for the approval of the ordinance.

No more, no less.

Yet, that doesn't satisfy most of the critics because, for them, this is all about Davis, and that's the real issue here.

A lot of folks, rightly or wrongly, are very unhappy with Davis's managerial style and, as a result, they're working to craft an ordinance that has some good things in it and some bad things in it but, make no mistake, it's about curbing the influence of Davis, not the actual position of chairman.

Though Lee Becker would suggest that it's not about communication, and that communication is actually code for other things - something which I've conceded is probably a reality - his own defenders counteract that when they make statements like this ...

Thank you Board of Commissioners and continue on your mandate. I have worked two full-time jobs for the County government in the previous administration and have witnessed how the lack of communication effects everyday Oconee County residents in a negative way.

That was written this morning by Dan, one of Davis's most vocal critics.

Again, for the umpteenth time, I am by no means opposed to restructuring the local government if there is a legitimate need for it. However, I am opposed to the proposed restructuring if the only rationale for it is that Davis is a poor communicator.