Thursday, October 1, 2009

On the 'Obama radio' stunt

Judging by the emails I've received, folks either think this is a brilliant publicity move by Cox Radio or an incredibly offensive injustice.

It doesn't strike me as either one.

I'm not offended by it in the slightest, but I also think it's just kinda lame and reeks of immature, juvenille humor.

I do have to say, however, that it doesn't strike me as a terribly wise move given the fact that 100.1-FM covers the northern part of Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s district. With a congressman that likes to grab headlines by regularly accusing the president of wanting to take over the country and installing a Marxist dictatorship, concocting a gimmicky stunt that's built around something like that actually happening seems to be in rather poor taste.

As Talking Points Memo noted, it's worked from a publicity standpoint in that their online streaming broadcast audience has doubled in a day, but I'm not always sure any publicity is good publicity.