Friday, June 12, 2009

Couple of things

- Well, Will Leamon puts together a ridiculous argument. Apparently he doesn't recognize that public entities like the University of Georgia and the local school systems already solict corporate sponsorships, which means the local government merely finding complimentary sponsors would not be acting out of the ordinary. As far as the assertion that somehow this is just masking some deep hatred the Athens Banner-Herald editorial board has for Leisure Services, that made me laugh out loud.

- Um, yeah ... that's the ticket. I'm just stunned there wasn't a plug for the book.

- If you get the chance, swing by the Athens Land Trust's open house. They're celebrating their 'birthday' and, in a really clever fundraising idea that I'm partially jealous that I didn't think of, they've got a gift registry online aimed at supporting different needs of the organization.

- Granted, I break ranks with a lot of folks regarding the various quality of life ordinances in Athens-Clarke County. I didn't like 'em when I lived there, and I'm still not a fan as I read over the rise in code violations. Making it a violation to leave your trash can out on the curb, after raising the rates for backside pickup, is just preposterous to me. It's micro-managing aesthetics, and I've just had a philosophical contention with it for a while.

- You won't be able to see the editorial for this week's The Oconee Enterprise, but let's just say it picks up where my column started and then takes almost a little too far. Oconee County Commissioner John Daniell, for instance, is not just a budget-hawk with an ideologically narrow view of managing government, but he's also personally jealous of Oconee County Chairman Melvin Davis. It was kind of like reading the old gossip section of your high school newspaper ...

No comments:

Post a Comment