Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer fare

For those who know me, one of my more enjoyable hobbies is cooking. And, given that I also like to write (as evidenced by this blog), I figured I marry the two somewhat.

So, on Thursdays for the rest of the summer, I'm sharing recipes with a summer theme from various folks around the community. Our first entry comes from Mary McKillip, the wife of Rep. Doug McKillip ...

This is a recipe my mom has cooked for me every since I was a little girl during the summer when we got fresh shrimp. Now I cook it for Doug and the three boys. I usually double this recipe for our family of five.

½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
12 oz cooked peeled shrimp
½ cup chopped green peppers
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 tablespoons salad oil (I use Italian dressing)
1 one-pound can (2 cups) tomatoes
1 8 oz can seasoned tomato sauce
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
½ to 1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons water

Cook onion, celery, and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.

Simmer uncovered 45 minutes.

Mix cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of water.

Stir cornstarch mixture into sauce.

Cook and stir mixture until it thickens.

Add shrimp and green peppers.

Cover and simmer about 5 minutes until green peppers tender.