Monday, June 8, 2009

Frye talks mayor

After writing this, I exchanged emails with Spencer Frye and asked him about the rumors involving him running for mayor and got a response full of non-committment, yet intrigue ...

A lot of people have been encouraging me to run for mayor, which is very flattering and means so much. So it's something that I'm giving serious thought to. Obviously, my obligations to my family and Habitat for Humanity are the top priorities right now, and I will factor both in as I consider what to do.

But, whether I run or not, I want our next mayor to take the next step in the fight against poverty and our efforts to make Athens a sustainable, desirable community. I just want someone who can look 10 to 20 years down the line and not only see where we need to be, but also know how to get us there.


As folks know and as I've said repeatedly, Frye's a buddy of mine, and I'd like to see him toss his hat in the ring. I think this statement gives a good indication that he's giving it some real thought, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment