Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sounds of irrelevance

From David Poythress ...

Roy Barnes’ announcement today does not change my plans or campaign to be the next Governor of Georgia. Know this: I am in this race to win it, period.

I will continue to march towards victory because most Democrats and many Republicans agree with me that this race should be about the future. I’ve heard them say about Roy Barnes, “we won’t get fooled again” and “the new Roy is still King Roy.”

Regardless of how people choose to express it, Roy Barnes is a polarizing figure in Georgia politics. Folks either love him or despise him. Many have predicted his campaign will reopen the old wounds such as the flag controversy, disgruntled teachers, the King Roy “rat” commercial, his stunning loss to Sonny Perdue and the wreckage it left behind for the Democratic Party. Most Democratic voters understand that these realities will fatally damage his ability to win in the General Election.

I believe Democrats will make a different choice for their future by nominating me as their candidate for several reasons:

1. I have the best profile to win in the General Election;

2. I will lead Georgia into the future, not drag us into stale, old debates from the past;

3. I will run a statewide, grassroots campaign that engages voters in towns large and small.


It's really kind of pathetic.

We can leave aside the comedic value of a guy who last served in elected office in the 1990s running as the 'candidate for the future' and focus on this ...

All Poythress has relied on throughout his campaign has been hostile, negative attacks on anyone who has even giving passing thought to entering the Democratic primary. It's a campaign built on paranoia, and Barnes is going to swamp him.

And the sooner the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment