Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Davison talks drought and water

Athens-Clarke County Mayor Heidi Davison shared some thoughts with me regarding the state lifting most of the watering restrictions ...

Interesting that river flow has actually been down the last few weeks despite all the rain! The last relaxation of restrictions were probably enough, to be honest. Folks could water their plants enough allowing them to thrive and other activities such as pressure washing, car washing, and pool/fountain filling were, once again, permitted albeit with some limitations.

However, I think most folks will not slip back into old habits, by and large, and those who insist on watering as much as is allowed will see their water bills skyrocket with the new tiered pricing. For some the cost never matters - they are simply going to water as much as they please. For some, the pricing has the ability to effect their watering habits. And, for others the removal of restrictions matters not as they will continue to conserve regardless.


I think her latter point is especially true. With restrictions now lifted and the new pricing structure in place, this will be the first time Athens-Clarke County residents get to put their conservation habits into practice under non-drought circumstances. I know that they've carried over with me into our new place in The O.C. While I'm arguably enjoying watering outside (and, admittedly, I've cheated a canful of water to a plant or two in need), I can notice that I'm doing lots of other little things when it comes to everyday water use.

No comments:

Post a Comment