Sunday, June 28, 2009

Davis interview, part two

(This is the second in a three-part series stemming from a sit-down interview with Oconee County Commission Chairman Melvin Davis on June 26, 2009. The first part can be found here.)

Though inefficient communication has been touted as one of the central reasons for a proposed overhaul to the structure of Oconee County's local government, Oconee County Commission Chairman Melvin Davis doesn't feel as if that's the real impetus for the change ...

I think communication is an excuse, not a fact. My honest belief is that the board desires more direct involvement in the day-to-day operations of the government.

Furthermore, Davis said he felt as if he had earned an unnecessary and misguided reputation as a poor communicator. He spoke at length regarding the efforts of his staff to share information with the commission, and he said he has encouraged all commissioners to interact directly with the various departments in the government ('I encourage that, quite frankly, because they can get the information that much quicker by going directly to them ... That way they won't assume it's filtered because it's direct.').

Still, the perception exists, and, to be fair, I even carried it forth in my June 7 column. Davis said it's a frustrating stigma to deal with and stressed that his office is always eager to work with anyone who seeks additional information ...

I really do (feel as if there is an unfair perception regarding my communication skills). And I think, again, communication is a two-way street. I can't read the commission's mind, and I can't read the public's mind. I understand and know things as they call me and tell me or catch me on the street or whatever. I would prefer that kind of direct contact with anyone, whether it's a citizen or commissioner.

The recent negotiations over the budget, however, suggest some truth to Davis's argument. There was considerable debate over various line items inside the county's budget, such as the preservation of funding for Keep Oconee Beautiful, that was conducted at the meeting.

It's understandable, given that the majority of the commissioners either work or have worked in managerial positions throughout their professional careers. Chuck Horton, for instance, served as the chief of police for the University of Georgia, while John Daniell has served as the chief controller for a regional company. The transition to a collaborative, decision-making body which sets policy and, traditionally, has a hands-off approach when it comes to day-to-day operations, is arguably a challenging one.

Plus, there's nothing inherently wrong with commissioners desiring more control and more oversight in not only the development of policy, but also how said policy is being implemented.

Davis stressed that he respects his counterparts, and he praised the experiences and perspectives they bring to the commission. Still, his belief that most of its members wish to assume more authority has him somewhat concerned ...

County commissioners need to be knowledgeable in order to be able to make policy, but I think, frankly, that getting into the day-to-day operations (is something to be concerned about). If there are issues they have, I'd encourage them to pick up the phone and call me about it. If there are particular issues, sometimes, it gets difficult (to resolve) when you have folks dealing with minutiae.

If you want to get that specific in, say, how you spend those dollars, and you have to come back and ask a board of commissioners if you can do this and if you can do that, then I think you're going to slow down the efficiency of our county government and the services we provide to the public.